The first church on this site dates to over a thousand years ago to serve the local Viking (or Danish) population. It was dedicated to St Clement, who was popular with Danish seafarers. The present structure was begun in the 13th century, with some elements of this still visible. The church has undergone substantial changes in the centuries since. A fuller history is available by clicking this box.
In 1872 the leading church artist, Frederick Leach, painted a mural on the east wall, showing Christ in heaven surrounded by the saints. It is widely regarded as Leach’s finest piece.
Today, St Clement’s is an Anglican church shared with St Ephraim’s Orthodox parish. In 2019 Aidan Hart, Britain’s leading icon artist created an iconostasis (screen of icons), which shows Jesus and Mary watching over our earthly lives.
The church houses a modest pipe organ and a baby grand piano. Both are used regularly for worship and in performances at St Clement’s.
The instruments are available to use for practice and during private hire of the church by arrangement. Please contact our Director of Music for more information.